The best way for me to look back on my thought process is to get it down on paper so the ramblings that come forth with should be noted, that, they were made late on a week during exams.
So of course Im still dealing with the belief or lack there of in religion, faith etc. I have been downloading alot of lectures and discussions between many different figure heads of the field of science, theology, atheism, philosophy and i suppose Mr Joe public, to help be answer some questions ad also to throw up some at the same time.
Spank my ass and call me Buddha. it's like living life as a box of pringles. Someone seems to take away a question I may have had only to be given another and repeat. I'm like some sort of theology debate pot head that really loves to get that discussion high. I found myself entering into this journey with the vast and substantial belief that I do not believe in god that that religion (at this point I have now decided that there is a valley of difference between the faith and religion) is the route of alot of very bad events happening, not only in history but of the present day. This was entirely based on the arrogant knowledge that I had playfully gathered at no point making a discerned effort in doing. I have now made the decision to truthfully investigate what my feelings are and also what the rational evidence that I can bring to bear in the inevitable conversation I will have with someone when they ask what my thoughts are with regards to such.
I have recently been looking down the path of morals. I have always wondered why I do the things I do in the way I do them. This can be down to the fact of saying please and thankyou and always making sure that I try to treat people well and not to be mean without having a cause (if there is one that is just enough to warrant such acts). Then of course I come to the line that many will know is based in religion of 'do to others as you would have them do to you'. It's pretty famous and lot of people know it however I always remember mum saying this to me when I was annoyed or when I thought that someone deserved to have there actions noted. This then made me think that this is entirely routed in religion and is a teaching that I have used when I have explained actions I have made to others. I myself have said this to others to alleviate anger or anxiety. I actually hold very strongly that if it were the case that more people held this view, society as every level would be every much improved. , it certainly couldn't hurt at least.
In a way therefore a hemisphere of my moral scaffolding was created by religion and therefore for me as a person this can't be a bad thing. I don't think it is a bad thing. However I also think that to say my mum would not have told me this without her belief in the bible is unfair and does not give her the credit of being a good person solely on the basis of, her being a good person. In some way it makes the assumption that she told me that because she knew the bible and therefore religion has made my life better. I am in slight agreement with this statement to the point that, yes my mum told me this and yes she does read the bible. I don't agree that my mum is a good person because reads the bible. In fact I think my mum is a good person regardless and that she would have instilled in me the right way to live my life as a child on her own without the aid of god in her life.
I also take minor um-bridge to the idea that if my um hadn't told me this then I too would not have had the fortitude of character to make the decision to treat people how i wish to be treated with out my mum telling me this is what should be expected of me. I think that I have certain personal morals that are entirely innate that I follow without the voice of anyone saying that it is the right thing to do. I just do it. So have my morals come from mum, god, culture, interactions in life, maturation of the white parts of my brain? I'm not sure. I think to a degree maybe all of the above. I have experienced them all at some level so surely they must have effected me?!
By damn sure the idea that we cannot have morals without religion is balls. Thats a given. You can have morals from religion but they my not be entirely a given. They are not from the teachings of the bible and only thereof (or any other faith sector). But if they have been so systematically entrenched into our society that they are so unnoticeable to be teachings and are some sort of camouflaged lesson that is given via media, politics, family, advertising etc etc, well, i'm not sure. I hope however to decide.
So of course Im still dealing with the belief or lack there of in religion, faith etc. I have been downloading alot of lectures and discussions between many different figure heads of the field of science, theology, atheism, philosophy and i suppose Mr Joe public, to help be answer some questions ad also to throw up some at the same time.
Spank my ass and call me Buddha. it's like living life as a box of pringles. Someone seems to take away a question I may have had only to be given another and repeat. I'm like some sort of theology debate pot head that really loves to get that discussion high. I found myself entering into this journey with the vast and substantial belief that I do not believe in god that that religion (at this point I have now decided that there is a valley of difference between the faith and religion) is the route of alot of very bad events happening, not only in history but of the present day. This was entirely based on the arrogant knowledge that I had playfully gathered at no point making a discerned effort in doing. I have now made the decision to truthfully investigate what my feelings are and also what the rational evidence that I can bring to bear in the inevitable conversation I will have with someone when they ask what my thoughts are with regards to such.
I have recently been looking down the path of morals. I have always wondered why I do the things I do in the way I do them. This can be down to the fact of saying please and thankyou and always making sure that I try to treat people well and not to be mean without having a cause (if there is one that is just enough to warrant such acts). Then of course I come to the line that many will know is based in religion of 'do to others as you would have them do to you'. It's pretty famous and lot of people know it however I always remember mum saying this to me when I was annoyed or when I thought that someone deserved to have there actions noted. This then made me think that this is entirely routed in religion and is a teaching that I have used when I have explained actions I have made to others. I myself have said this to others to alleviate anger or anxiety. I actually hold very strongly that if it were the case that more people held this view, society as every level would be every much improved. , it certainly couldn't hurt at least.
In a way therefore a hemisphere of my moral scaffolding was created by religion and therefore for me as a person this can't be a bad thing. I don't think it is a bad thing. However I also think that to say my mum would not have told me this without her belief in the bible is unfair and does not give her the credit of being a good person solely on the basis of, her being a good person. In some way it makes the assumption that she told me that because she knew the bible and therefore religion has made my life better. I am in slight agreement with this statement to the point that, yes my mum told me this and yes she does read the bible. I don't agree that my mum is a good person because reads the bible. In fact I think my mum is a good person regardless and that she would have instilled in me the right way to live my life as a child on her own without the aid of god in her life.
I also take minor um-bridge to the idea that if my um hadn't told me this then I too would not have had the fortitude of character to make the decision to treat people how i wish to be treated with out my mum telling me this is what should be expected of me. I think that I have certain personal morals that are entirely innate that I follow without the voice of anyone saying that it is the right thing to do. I just do it. So have my morals come from mum, god, culture, interactions in life, maturation of the white parts of my brain? I'm not sure. I think to a degree maybe all of the above. I have experienced them all at some level so surely they must have effected me?!
By damn sure the idea that we cannot have morals without religion is balls. Thats a given. You can have morals from religion but they my not be entirely a given. They are not from the teachings of the bible and only thereof (or any other faith sector). But if they have been so systematically entrenched into our society that they are so unnoticeable to be teachings and are some sort of camouflaged lesson that is given via media, politics, family, advertising etc etc, well, i'm not sure. I hope however to decide.
No comments:
Post a Comment