The place I work in has a huge amount of races, types, colours, creeds etc etc.
They are of varied ages.
Sexualities.
Sizes.
Strangely enough I was able to get one of the supervisors into a conversation about politics. A little about sexuality and a little about religion. However at this point she pointed out that she was going to vote for the BNP. Of course, people have their own reasons to why they chose the political parties they follow. She is of course entirely free to do so and I would hate for that to change.
However.
She has "friends" at the store that are black and mixed race immigrants. She has to manage a team that are entirely immigrants. This is important because her entire reason for laying her vote down for the BNP was because, and I quote:
"well they will never get in but at least if I vote then their voice will be heard and they have a better chance of closing the gates and making sure that the ones (immigrants) that are here will get fucking sent back (smile)"
This is a supervisor. She was then amazed when I called her a cunt and said that she should be ashamed. she could not understand why I would feel this way and then proceeded to try and explain why I would feel the same due to the fact that I was white and a student. The part that angered me the most was that when pressed, she had no idea what the fuck any of the rest of their manifesto contained. She had based her entire reason on the fact that she thought that people from other countries were taking our jobs and that that's the reason the economy is fucked because they have taken all 'our' money via the dole system. The idea that she basis an opinion of nothing more than one is bollocks. As I explained to here in full, I thought she should be ashamed of herself for not education herself properly before making a choice in the way she had. She should really and honestly think about what she is doing and what she is saying to the rest of the world by giving these backward, politically correct racists her vote. I also broached the fact that if this was her feeling, then why didn't she have the strength of her convictions to ensure that the people she socialized with at work were not the same people that she would have sent 'back home' if she got her way.
This last point brought me to a question that I felt I had to ask myself. What should I do now? I have found out that this is the way a person that I had previously thought of as a decent person that I had gotten along well with. I have now found out that she is fundamentally flawed in her a character, in my opinion, to the point that surely it falls upon my moral judgement to assess in connection to myself. Should I in fact have the strength of my convictions and explain I could no longer be friends at work because of the way that she felt towards people I hold, now genuinely, as mates? Even as I write this I am not entirely sure if the way I responded was right. I told her all the viewpoints I held in conjunction with her opinions at the same time realizing that later in that day I will no doubt have to joke along with her. I felt and do still feel like some sort of employed Judas.
I have spoken with one of the other lads at work about it and have decided to sit and wait till I say something. If i do say something it will in no doubt make an argument between me and her happen and therefore the lads as well so I feel that I should have thought about it enough to warrant anything that may occur. I would say that overall I just felt so let down that someone that I actually got along with very well could have such narrow views on the people around them.
They are of varied ages.
Sexualities.
Sizes.
Strangely enough I was able to get one of the supervisors into a conversation about politics. A little about sexuality and a little about religion. However at this point she pointed out that she was going to vote for the BNP. Of course, people have their own reasons to why they chose the political parties they follow. She is of course entirely free to do so and I would hate for that to change.
However.
She has "friends" at the store that are black and mixed race immigrants. She has to manage a team that are entirely immigrants. This is important because her entire reason for laying her vote down for the BNP was because, and I quote:
"well they will never get in but at least if I vote then their voice will be heard and they have a better chance of closing the gates and making sure that the ones (immigrants) that are here will get fucking sent back (smile)"
This is a supervisor. She was then amazed when I called her a cunt and said that she should be ashamed. she could not understand why I would feel this way and then proceeded to try and explain why I would feel the same due to the fact that I was white and a student. The part that angered me the most was that when pressed, she had no idea what the fuck any of the rest of their manifesto contained. She had based her entire reason on the fact that she thought that people from other countries were taking our jobs and that that's the reason the economy is fucked because they have taken all 'our' money via the dole system. The idea that she basis an opinion of nothing more than one is bollocks. As I explained to here in full, I thought she should be ashamed of herself for not education herself properly before making a choice in the way she had. She should really and honestly think about what she is doing and what she is saying to the rest of the world by giving these backward, politically correct racists her vote. I also broached the fact that if this was her feeling, then why didn't she have the strength of her convictions to ensure that the people she socialized with at work were not the same people that she would have sent 'back home' if she got her way.
This last point brought me to a question that I felt I had to ask myself. What should I do now? I have found out that this is the way a person that I had previously thought of as a decent person that I had gotten along well with. I have now found out that she is fundamentally flawed in her a character, in my opinion, to the point that surely it falls upon my moral judgement to assess in connection to myself. Should I in fact have the strength of my convictions and explain I could no longer be friends at work because of the way that she felt towards people I hold, now genuinely, as mates? Even as I write this I am not entirely sure if the way I responded was right. I told her all the viewpoints I held in conjunction with her opinions at the same time realizing that later in that day I will no doubt have to joke along with her. I felt and do still feel like some sort of employed Judas.
I have spoken with one of the other lads at work about it and have decided to sit and wait till I say something. If i do say something it will in no doubt make an argument between me and her happen and therefore the lads as well so I feel that I should have thought about it enough to warrant anything that may occur. I would say that overall I just felt so let down that someone that I actually got along with very well could have such narrow views on the people around them.
No comments:
Post a Comment