Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Some Old Drafts.

Following a 32 minute podcast that I have recently listened to from the economic juggernaut that is itunes, I was thrown into a world of questions and realizations that I didn’t know I should or did or maybe, don’t have.

‘Toy Story Is Sexist’ is a podcast put up by iQ2- Quick Debate (which can be found on itunes for free download). It is a debate between 2 ladies, obviously with responses under strict timings, on opposing sides of the argument (even though the “argument” is that whether or not Toy Story 3 is sexist). They paly back and forth the ideas of the film that have, in their view, bolstered their own argument and in turn disproved any notion of the other persons viewpoint.

Stop it! The femisist movement already has a hard anough time of it trying to get any portion of hold in the ears of joe public without concenrtaing on such minimilistic contests such as this.

The main point of the prosecutor against TS3 is that there are no good role models in the film for women/girls to establish a connection with. There are not enough female characters. The female characters that are in the film are not of the caliber that she thinks should be represented in a film i.e. “a house wife figure that just nags and shouts all the time”. That the mother figure is a single parent that cannot control the children doing such terrible acts like shouting up the stairs and always asking the son to clean his room…… of course this doesn’t happen in any other household irrespective of parental or socioeconomic stature.

As I started to listen to the podcast I assumed that in no way am I going to agree with anything that this wile, vegitarian feminist has to say. The prosecutor was talking alot about the past and that women have always been trodden on and have alwasy had to work hard to get where they had. That they have never, in the past been shown in movies in a good light. That the industry has always been…… yada yada yada.

Yada yada is not to say that I disagree with her. I think that men have entirely sewn up the indursty in the past. I imagine that overall men control the better part of the industry now. However what is the point of dweeling on that point now. In fact alot has happened for the womens movement since those days. In every film, musical script, play, book etc etc you could, im sure, find which ever directionally sided viewpoint you wanted to if you try very hard. Im sure that when I read the jungle book to my nephew, if i try very hard I could find an anti semitic or ageist slant on the story.

I think that has to be the problem with some of the fights that certain people within every movement have. Choice. They have every choice and all the time in the world to pick their fights. Instead of cherry picking the important and influential ones, they go for the quick fix, the speed-ball arguments that give them the rush and feeling of the win without actually making it any further than the ethical hot dog stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment