Tuesday, 24 April 2012

The Two Horseman

For whatever reason, and I truthfully do not know, I have always been interested in religion. The reasons why I have had it in my life, why other choose to follow it. What it has done in the world and for me as an individual and in turn my family.

My thoughts have seriously changed over time. In some respect I imagine that I have become viewed as someone who feels religion is a terrible and vulgar sport that should be banished from our lands. This in some part, is true. However at no point would I ever hold it against someone who has religion in their life as a medium for strength or comfort or in fact, for any reason that they feel they need in order for them to have it in their lives. I suppose now I feel that it is not the individual that i have issues with. It is the overbearing umbrella of societal religion that I find I have difficulty coming to terms with. This is something that I am still having trouble aligning in my head and so the search continues.

This leads me to the reason for the post I imagine. I wanted to not only, put onto paper (electronic or otherwise) the period of my life where I found Christopher Hitchens and although it was some time ago Richard Dawkins.

There was a documentry that was hosted by Stephen Fry a while back when Hitchens died. It was a group of his friends talking about the times in thier lives that they had with him and why they loved im etc etc. It was a really nice way to be introduced to someone who, without exception, has made me engage with a part of my life and thoughts more so than any other person other than my parents. I am not saying that he is the all seeing man that has all the answers. I do not in any way agree with everything he says. I feel that some of his comments/beliefs are not in line with what I think. That withstanding, he has made me think of religion as a beast of overwhelming infection and grip upon not only our society but also on global society. So many acts and utterances that I made were entirely made because of the influence of religion and the way that I was brought up with it, I am not bashing it at this point. I am not saying that I am better or worse off because of it. I am simply saying that it never dawned on me until this point, quite so much, that religion has shaped my character to some degree.
 The way my mum and dad taught me morality, to be a good person as much as you can. Do unto others and you would have done unto your self is something that genuinely sticks with me till this day and a 'philosophy' that I think has a great deal of credence. 

I am not religious. But I have faith.

At the moment the above statement is something that I feel sums my thoughts up well. It is not something that I think will be with me for the rest of my life because I imagine I will change my views along the way. It is also not something, that if i did keep it forever, that I would be unhappy with. Faith to me is entirely tangible. It is the moment I open my mouth and speak the words "hey nana, gimme a hand with this and i'll try harder at uni". It is that moment when you need something or someone to talk to or feel that gives you some kind of extra moxie. For me, i don't think that is god. Or at least it isn't god in the sense that I have grown up with. I still haven't decided so I can't say for sure. I just don't know yet is the overbearing sentence that keeps coming up.

I think that's ok. I do honestly think that to not know and still to be asking is fine. I am fine with it so shit everyone else. In fact I like the fact I am still asking myself the question. Good job! (twat).

In a way this post is a little thankyou Mr Dawkins and Mr Hitchens for helping me to keep asking i suppose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment